The Arctic Sounder, America’s northernmost newspaper, is seeking an enterprising, experienced journalist to cover happenings above the Arctic Circle. Our mission is serving readers across this region, online and in print. From Indigenous culture to the impacts of climate change to covering local governments, business and life in the region, this job is an amazing opportunity for the right reporter.
You need to be solid in the basics: Accuracy, fairness, nuance, a high degree of curiosity and the ability to produce clear stories that speak to readers in the region. Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment, who can establish and maintain trust with readers, is critical. You’ll be based in Anchorage but will travel to the region multiple times a year. You’ll produce content not only for the Sounder but also will contribute coverage from the region to the Anchorage Daily News / adn.com, and will work with the ADN staff as well as with the Arctic Sounder editor.
You’ll join a larger organization that’s the most widely read news source in Alaska and that takes serving audiences seriously.
We’re independently owned, financially stable and offer a competitive salary and benefits. We’re an equal opportunity employer and are committed to building a diverse workplace that reflects our community.
SALARY : Depending on experience
Essential duties and responsibilities:
- Conceive, report and write stories for the Arctic Sounder, online and in print (we publish in print weekly). Produce accurate, contextual, compelling and useful articles and other content.
- Consistently produce content that’s fair, well sourced, focused and clear, and reflects interests and information needs of audiences and communities served. Consistently file copy that meets deadlines and that’s well organized and meets style guidelines.
- Produce three to five stories weekly as well as briefs and other content.
- Ability to travel multiple times a year to Northwest Alaska and the North Slope.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment.
- Ability to produce digital photos and video.
- Work with ethics and integrity, inspire trust and uphold organizational values.
Required education and experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent.
- 2-5 years journalism experience.
Skills and abilities:
- Strong external and internal communication skills, ability to take direction and work collaboratively.
- Consistently demonstrate professionalism, curiosity, strong judgment, speed, ability to work productively on your own and with others.
- Close attention to detail and knowledge of current journalistic best practices.