Vice President – General Counsel
Accountabilities and Specific Requirements:
WORK LOCATION: Anchorage
SCHEDULE: This is Anchorage based positions on an urban schedule of a 40-hour week or 9/80-work schedule.
Under general direction of the President is accountable for the following:
The Vice President/General Counsel (VPGC) reports to the President. The VPGC is responsible for providing legal advice and representation to the company. The VPGC plans and directs all aspects of the company’s legal affairs and ensures all business policies and activities are managed in compliance with current laws. The VPGC leads the company’s litigation strategy in any litigation brought by or against the company and provides guidance and counsel to executive management on business transactions and initiatives.
The Law Department includes in-house attorneys, support staff, the company’s lands and insurance functions, and the Employee Concerns Program. The VPGC oversees the Law Department staff. The Law Department is responsible for providing advice to client groups on all company business matters including regulatory, compliance, environmental, corporate governance, commercial, property and employment and labor law topics. The VPGC is expected to understand the business needs of the company and help formulate legal policy that will support and enhance company business while protecting the company’s rights and ensuring corporate compliance.
The ideal candidate for the role will be a leader with a progressive career in the energy sector as exhibited by increasing responsibility. S/he will have a track record of not only doing strategic, conceptual thinking, with a long-term view, but will also have a track record of influencing leadership teams to accept and execute those strategies.
The successful candidate must have the proven ability to lead positive change with continuous improvement, have exceptional interpersonal and proven negotiating and coaching skills, superior risk-informed decision-making ability, and superior written and verbal communication skills.
In addition, the accountabilities for this role are as follows:
- Lead a high performing legal team to support the executive leadership team members and business activities.
- Safeguard company’s interests by identifying and prioritizing legal risks and emerging issues and threats that may impact the business.
- Undertake legal risk evaluation such that senior management understands the material risks and opportunities and has been provided with clear risk mitigation strategies.
- Oversee corporate governance functions, ensuring documents accurately reflect business decisions and are consistent with legal obligations.
- Prepare, manage, and report against budgets.
- Oversee external counsel as needed.
- Oversee the company’s conflict of interest program and employee concerns program
- Support management in the preparation of contractual notices and claim documentation relating to disputes.
- Update senior management on the progress of resolving critical legal issues.
- The ability to create and articulate an inspiring vision for the company, not only for the areas s/he is directly responsible for, but the enterprise as a whole
- The inclination to seek and analyze data from a variety of sources to support decisions and to align others with the company’s overall strategy
- An entrepreneurial and creative approach to developing new, innovative ideas that will benefit the company and push the boundaries within the industry
- The ability to effectively balance the desire/need for broad change with an understanding of how much change the company is capable of handling, and to create realistic goals and implementation plans that are achievable and successful
Executing for Results:
- The ability to set clear and challenging goals while committing the company to improved performance, and to be tenacious and accountable in driving results
- Comfortable with ambiguity and uncertainly; the ability to adapt nimbly and lead others through complex situations
- A risk-taker who seeks data and input from others to foresee possible threats or unintended circumstances from decisions; someone who takes smart risks
- A leader who is viewed by others as having a high degree of integrity and forethought in his/her approach to making decisions; the ability to act in a transparent and consistent manner while always considering what is best for the company
- The ability to attract and recruit top talent, motivate the team, delegate effectively, celebrate diversity within the team, and manage performance; widely viewed as a strong developer of others
- The ability to persevere in the face of challenges, and exhibit a steadfast resolve and relentless commitment to higher standards, which commands respect from followers
- A leader who is self-reflective and aware of his/her own limitations; leads by example and drives the company’s performance with an attitude of continuous improvement by being open to feedback and self-improvement
Relationships and Influence
- Naturally connects and builds strong relationships with others, demonstrating strong emotional intelligence and an ability to communicate clearly and persuasively
- An ability to inspire trust and followership in others through compelling influence, powerful charisma, passion in his/her beliefs, and active drive
- Encourages others to share the spotlight and visibly celebrates and supports the success of the team
- Creates a sense of purpose/meaning for the team that generates followership beyond his/her own personality and engages others to the greater purpose for the company as a whole
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Applicant must meet or exceed these minimum job requirements to apply for this position.
- Juris Doctor Degree from a law school accredited by the American Bar Association
- Admitted to the Alaska State Bar Association or able to become admitted within one year of hire
- Fifteen (15) years of relevant legal experience. Corporate/commercial experience, including complex commercial transactions, and employment law experience
- Proven leadership skills
- Litigation experience
- Experience managing or supervising personnel
- Superior verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills and good negotiation skills
- Broad familiarity with major legal disciplines
- Ability to manage conflicting and evolving work demands
- Experience in the oil & gas industry
- Regulatory experience
- Proven ability to effectively manage internal/external stakeholder interactions
- Experience working in Alaska
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES:
- External/Internal Relations
PRE-EMPLOYMENT DRUG SCREEN TESTING:
- Alyeska Pipeline Service Company (APSC) requires pre-employment drug testing utilizing hair test collections for all positions. The preferred collection site is from the head (approximately 1/2 inch of hair length necessary). Head hair testing provides an approximate 90-day window of detection that checks for drug use. In addition, for Department of Transportation covered positions, APSC will also utilize urinalysis testing. Any positive drug test makes you ineligible for APSC employment.
- It is important to note that APSC does not seek or accept any genetic information as part of the hair testing procedure or any other process that could directly or inadvertently provide genetic information (family medical history).
EMPLOYMENT VERIFICATION USING E-VERIFY:
- Federal Law requires all employers to verify identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States. Alyeska Pipeline Service Company participates in E-Verify. E-Verify is an Internet-based system that compares information from an employee's Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification, to data from U.S Department of Homeland Security and Social Security Administration records to confirm employment eligibility. http://www.dhs.gov/e-verify.
- The Alyeska Valdez Marine Terminal (VMT) is a regulated facility, and the employee hired to work on the VMT or to provide emergency support or other approved work for the VMT will be required to have a Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC). For more information about this Federal credential access the Web site listed below. The successful candidate for this job will be notified if a TWIC will be required and will then be responsible for enrolling and obtaining a TWIC prior to their hire date. http://www.tsa.gov