Haines Borough Manager
Haines Borough, Alaska, is seeking an experienced, organized, detail-oriented person to serve as the Chief Administrative Officer of the Borough, responsible for the effective and efficient administration of all Borough services through the supervision of administrative staff and department heads.
Background and Experience
A degree in public administration, law, finance, engineering, political science, human resources or business administration is preferred; a successful record of increasing responsibility and accomplishment in municipal or governmental administration is given strong consideration in evaluation of applicants. This position is subject to a thorough reference check.
• Experience in budget preparation, policy, fiscal strategy and applying borough code and charter
• Experience building working relationships with elected officials, as well as state and local agencies
• Working knowledge of public financing
• Experience with economic development/project management
• Background in human resource activities including contract negotiations, collective bargaining, performance evaluations and staff development
• Experience implementing strategic plans
• Infrastructure repair/replacement
• A record of professional development and experience/training in stress management and/or conflict resolution
Professional Management Characteristics
The Borough is seeking an experienced facilitator, competent in engaging the community, Assembly, and staff. Preferred characteristics follow.
• Organized and accurate
• An astute researcher
• A well-developed listener possessing professional communication skills
• Able to build an effective relationship with staff and foster a healthy work environment
• Able to manage by example through hard work, accountability, and integrity
Haines Manager Position
The Borough Manager is the Chief Administrative Officer of the Borough reporting directly to the Borough Assembly. This person is responsible for the effective and efficient administration of all borough services. The manager performs duties under the directives of borough code and ordinances within policy guidelines of the Borough Assembly. This position works closely with all special committees and boards. The manager coordinates activities of borough departments, borough officers, committees and boards, and delegates duties as needed.
• Appoints department heads and directs the internal operation of all borough departments
• Serves as personnel officer and is responsible for hiring and terminating borough employees
• Acts as a point of contact between the borough, local, state and federal agencies
• Works with the Chief Fiscal Officer to prepare bond issues, local improvement districts and contracts
• Prepares and implements the annual budget and capital improvement program
• Procures and administers supplemental grants with prior approval of the Assembly
• Serves as the administrator to the Planning Commission
• Implements approved economic development, comprehensive, and other plans