Director of Finance
Job Title: Director of Finance
Reports to: Vice President of Operations
Date Revised: November 1, 2023
Salary: $133,050 - $199,575
Rasmuson Foundation, an Equal Opportunity Employer, is dedicated to improving the quality of life for people throughout Alaska. The Foundation awards grants to Alaska-based nonprofits, government entities, tribes, and individual artists to promote a better life for all Alaskans.
The Director of Finance has primary staff responsibility for the management, reporting and record-keeping of the financial activity of the Foundation, including the preparation of budgets, budget-actual analysis, payout, and tax returns and audits. This position works with the leadership and staff to accomplish goals, including a vibrant, collaborative work culture.
- Responsible for the Foundation’s financial operating system and environment, including grant payout.
- Approves check, electronic transfer, and out-going wire disbursements.
- Oversees internal control and conflict of interest policy compliance for the finance staff.
- Monitors financial operations to identify potential self-dealing and conflict of interest issues, alerting executive leadership with any concerns.
- Responsible for monthly budget-actual analysis for operational and grant payout to the President & CEO and executive team.
- Develops and provides needed reports and analysis to staff and leadership.
- Reviews and approves all the financial aspects of all payroll activities and associated regulatory filings.
- Manages audit and tax preparation relationship with independent contractor(s).
- Responsible for the preparation of the annual budget, foundation payout, tax return schedules and audit responses as needed.
- Alignment with the Foundation’s mission and vision.
- A minimum of 10 years of experience handling different aspects of an organization’s financial activities, and three years or more of management experience, including presenting financial information at the executive level.
- Proven accounting technical expertise and ability to manage deadlines.
- Experience with foundation financial systems and non-profit tax reporting preferred.
- Results in relationship building within a cross-functional team.
- Licensure as a Certified Public Accountant.
- Master’s Degree or above in an applicable discipline desired. Experience can substitute.
- Work product reflects high degree of accuracy, understanding of how tasks fit into the big picture, and sound reasoning consistent with accepted principles of accounting.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- High proficiency with office management systems and procedures, standard office equipment, and collaborative software, including Microsoft Office, Teams, and others.
- Self-motivated. Strong organizational skills, ability to manage several projects at once.
- Bridge-building ability to establish a network and collaborate with staff across the Foundation.
- Good judgment and integrity.
- Strong listening skills, demonstrated through problem-solving and applicable solutions.
- A service orientation.
- A commitment to enabling individual and team success.
- Proven ability to influence vertically and horizontally.
- Role models ethics and professionalism.
- Drives staff development plan for finance staff to assure competency in job performance, cross-training and professional growth.
- Coaches and develops both direct reports and the broader team.
Rasmuson Foundation is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity and its role in building a more inclusive culture and ultimately, a more capable organization.