IT Operations Manager
IT Operations Manager
Reports to: Vice President of Finance & Administration
Direct Reports: None
Last Updated: April 2021
The IT Operations Manager is responsible for the management, strategy and execution of the Foundation’s IT infrastructure and budget. Manages and improves business operations and efficiency through technology, including implementation of mission-critical IT systems and policies. Oversees and coordinates with teams of external specialists and service providers, ensuring all IT initiatives support the overall goals and objectives of the Foundation.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Enterprise Technology Management:
- Manage and oversee the Foundation’s IT infrastructure, including technology operations and implementation of IT systems and policies.
- Act as frontline help desk for employee technology assistance. Provide assistance or direct to our managed service provider if necessary.
- In conjunction with supervisor, direct the planning, prioritization, implementation, deployment and evaluation of enterprise IT initiatives.
- Lead efforts to identify opportunities to improve the reliability and security of IT systems, increase efficiencies, evaluate and review business opportunities, perform cost-benefit analyses, and conduct audits.
- Manage and assist in creating annual IT operating and project budgets and purchasing process.
- Develop and maintain IT policies and procedures.
- Maintain a calendar of regularly scheduled IT tasks and processes.
- Communicate with employees to identify operational needs and concerns.
- Analyze trends to identify potential training needs, policy updates and other corrective measures.
- Assist Foundation employees in developing a solid understanding of Foundation technologies. Develop and deliver ongoing end user training opportunities.
Vendor Relationship Management:
- Collaborate with third parties/vendors to form business partnerships, align efforts to reach desired goals, and ensure products and services meet business needs.
- Guide teams on the implementation and support of IT initiatives and systems.
- Collect recommendations and proposals from technology partners to identify benefits, risks and desired outcomes. Recommend action plans and obtain sponsorship from Foundation leadership.
- Lead efforts to negotiate and manage vendor contracts.
Support Team Management:
- Coordinate internal requests for IT support, identify needs, consolidate information and submit help desk requests to the appropriate service providers (i.e. desktop, network, server, telecommunications and software support teams).
- Analyze help desk requests to identify trends and potential solutions.
- Monitor help desk requests/systems and coordinate with service providers to ensure requests are addressed in an accurate, satisfactory and timely manner.
- Manage user expectations to build trust and maximize confidence in service providers.
- Meet with service providers on a periodic basis to discuss outstanding help desk requests, help desk request trends, upcoming needs and projects, the overall health of the Foundation’s IT infrastructure, and the Foundation’s IT roadmap/strategy.
- Document service provider processes and workflows.
- Provide direct support to Foundation leadership and other users as needed due to time constraints and/or availability of service providers.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Advanced understanding of technical solutions and infrastructure such as:
o Windows OS (PCs and server) and iOS (iPads and iPhones).
o Microsoft Office 365 suite of products including Dynamics, Teams, Outlook,
Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
o WordPress or other web publishing system.
o Email marketing platform.
- Ability to effectively understand, troubleshoot and coordinate with technology vendors in support of applications such as:
o Concur Expense Management
- Exceptional analytical and problem-solving skills for issues of varying complexity.
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects simultaneously.
- Strong communication skills (written and verbal) to unite internal and external participants for a common goal.
- Pleasant and professional demeanor in all external and internal interactions.
- Ability to remain calm in stressful situations and patient when assisting employees.
- Comfortable with speaking to our group of employees (typically less than 30).
- Minimum of eight years of prior experience in the technology field. Applicable experience could include roles in delivering user support, project management, business analysis, systems analysis or IT consulting services in a professional environment with 10 or more users.
- Bachelor’s degree is preferred; however, industry training, certification and continuing education will be considered.
- Ability to accommodate occasional evening and weekend work.