Treasury Budget Accountant
The Kenai Peninsula Borough
Definition: Under the general direction and supervision of the Financial Planning Manager, the Treasury/Budget Accountant performs budgeting, banking and accounting duties to assist the Finance Director, Controller, and Financial Planning Manager with the borough’s banking and investments, accounting, grant reporting and budgeting functions.
• Bachelor’s degree in accounting from an accredited institution. Finance or other business degree in combination with accounting experience may be considered. 2. WORK EXPERIENCE: A minimum of three (3) years of increasingly responsible work experience in accounting or two (2) years of recent public accounting experience. Work experience should include the following: • Preparation of bank reconciliations and cash flow projections. • Reconciliation of general ledger account balances. • Preparation of general ledger adjusting entries. • Strong communication skills including both verbal and written. • Preparation of reports using Microsoft Excel and Word to include importing and exporting of data, the use of pivot tables, creation of tables and charts, and sort functions
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Qualifications:
1. Experience preparing and submitting grant expenditure and performance reports.
2. Experience preparing financial data using Microsoft.
3. Governmental accounting experience.
1. Ability to use independent judgment in applying guidelines to varied situations and to maintain confidentiality.
2. Acts as borough’s primary interface with financial institutions for banking and investing; activities including, but not limited to the following: • Monitors and accounts for daily bank account activity. • Prepares and maintains a cash flow projection for all funds managed through the borough’s central treasury. • Daily review and reporting of cash and investment activity. • Prepares and communicates trade instructions to the borough’s custodial bank for all investment transactions. • Records investment activities and maintains accounting records for all investments. • Prepares weekly and monthly investment reconciliations report for Finance Director and quarterly investment report for the Mayor and Assembly. • Reconciles monthly investment activity to record monthly paid and received interest, dividends and changes in fair value and accrued interest. Calculates monthly allocation of investment activity and change in fair value among borough funds. • Prepares and initiates all outgoing wire transfers from the borough’s banking, custodial and investment accounts.• Assists in the preparation of requests for proposals for banking and custodial trust services, developing contracts and monitoring compliance with contractual requirements • Prepares payments that are transmitted electronically; ie, by ACH and wire.
3. Maintains ambulance billing, checking accounts for all applicable Service Areas of the Borough by preparing all drafts against the accounts and reconciling monthly bank activity.
4. Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly in a courteous, professional manner, both verbally and in writing.
5. Monitors, accounts for, and records revenue from state and federal sources, including the timely preparation and submission of required applications and support documentation.
6. Prepares and submits required monthly, quarterly and annual financial reports and support documentation for grant awards and data request; including preparation of confirmations requested by the Borough’s external independent auditors.
7. Participates/assists in preparation of the borough’s annual budget. This includes: providing training to borough personnel; collecting and compiling budgetary data from assigned departments; researching budgetary data from external sources; analyzing current and historical budgetary activity; and, preparing assigned sections of borough budget documents.
8. Participates in preparation of the borough’s comprehensive annual financial report. Works with assigned departments to collect data and prepare financial reports.
9. Reviews, analyzes and prepares written comments on proposed ordinances and resolutions pertinent to borough budgeting, accounting, cash management and investments.
10. Reconciliation of general ledger accounts and preparation of adjustments as needed.
11. Maintains borough’s debt service schedules. Processes timely payment of debt service to paying agents and trustees, as well as all required State of Alaska reports and reimbursement requests
12. Assists in maintenance of the borough finance department’s web page.
13. Prepares annual confirmations for each city within the borough reporting collections, disbursements and receivables of each city’s property taxes, sales taxes and motor vehicle taxes.
1. Assists as needed with training of personnel.
2. May represent the department at government presentations and functions, and with other agencies when assigned.
3. Other related duties as assigned.
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to communicate orally, and to use hands and fingers dexterously in order to operate office equipment; regularly required to sit; and occasionally required to stand, walk, and reach with hands and arms. The employee must be able to occasionally lift and move file boxes and other objects weighing up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required include close vision and the ability to adjust focus. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. Examinations: Related Skills tests may be required.