United Tribes of Bristol Bay
United Tribes of Bristol Bay (UTBB) is a Tribal consortium of fifteen tribal governments working to protect the traditional Yup’ik, Dena’ina, and Alutiiq ways of life in the Bristol Bay region. UTBB advocates for the sustainability of our region through the continued strong stewardship of our lands and waters that sustain our indigenous ways of life and promoting sustainable economic development that is conducive with our ways of life and traditional values.
United Tribes of Bristol Bay (UTBB) seeks a Deputy Director who shares UTBB’s vision for a sustainable and thriving Bristol Bay. The Deputy will have proven organizational skills, analytic ability, good judgment, and strong operational focus, with a demonstrated implementation and detail-oriented perspective. The candidate should be a strong team leader and motivator, with excellent communication skills (both written and oral) and demonstrated ability to work with a wide range of stakeholders but particularly Bristol Bay communities and people. The Deputy should be comfortable with frequent travel to urban and remote locations and working a flexible yet fast-paced schedule.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task, and meet deadlines.
- Willingness to take initiative, high-level of self-motivation, and ease working independently or collaboratively as part of a team.
- Ability to think critically to identify various options, contingencies, and ramifications to achieve goals.
- Excellent analytical, verbal, and written communication skills are required.
- Personal qualities of integrity, honesty, and discretion.
- Demonstrated work experience or course work in project and team management.
- Must be comfortable with regular urban and rural travel.
Perform key operational functions to include, but not limited to:
- Develop, maintain, and ensure the excellence of all UTBB’s operational systems in service of UTBB’s mission and strategic goals, including finance and administration, human resources, programs and initiatives, communications, program evaluation and other operational systems.
- Ensure effective systems to track progress, and regularly evaluate program components, so as to measure successes that can be effectively communicated to the board, funders, communities and partners;
- Draft Board reports and communications for the approval of the Executive Director; ensure timely development and dissemination and other board support duties as assigned.
- Establish and monitor timelines and resources needed to achieve the strategic goals.
- Ensure and monitor staff workplans and identify challenges and opportunities in implementation for Executive Director action.
- Deepen and refine all aspects of communications—from web presence to external relations with the goal of creating a stronger public presence and a positive community impact.
- Assist the Executive Director in implementing the vision and strategic goals of the Board, including (but not limited to):
- Develop solid working knowledge of issues and stakeholders involved in UTBB’s mission
- Meet regularly with the Executive Director to ensure alignment on priorities and decisions and to assist Executive Director in identifying strategic opportunities and challenges
- Assist Executive Director in maintaining partnerships, relationships with funders, political, Tribal, and community leaders
- Prepare communications as directed by the UTBB Executive Director
- Other duties as assigned by Executive Director.
Compensation (additional details):
This is a full-time, exempt position and the salary range for this position dependent upon experience. UTBB offers a benefits package including paid time-off, retirement contribution and match, and health insurance options. If position is remote UTBB will cover basic connectivity costs.
Employee must be able to work in a flexible and fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability to juggle and prioritize multiple, competing tasks and demands while seeking supervisory assistance where appropriate. Employee must demonstrate a high-level of self-motivation and feel comfortable working independently in addition to being a strong team player. Frequent travel is required.
Questions can be emailed to Executive Director or by calling UTBB’s office at (907) 842-1687.